Mucocele of Appendix in a 45 year old lady shows the Classical Onion Skin Sign - On Ultrasonography.
Aperistaltic anechoic /cystic sOL with layered internal echoes like onion skin or onion peels layering. The presence of an "onion sign" (sonographic layering within a cystic mass) is considered a highly suggestive feature.
- typically seen as a well-circumscribed, low-attenuation, spherical or tubular mass contiguous with the base of the caecum
- the finding of curvilinear mural calcification suggests the diagnosis, but is seen in less than 50% of cases - which was present in our case.
- intra-luminal bubbles of gas, or an air-fluid level within a mucocele suggest the presence of superinfection, which can occur in both benign and malignant mucocoeles
Most Recent Articles
- May 11, 2017 Live Ascariasis in Gall Bladder - Moving Round Worms by Syed Nazir
- May 11, 2017 Ascarioma - Intestinal Ascariasis causing Obstruction by Syed Nazir
- May 10, 2017 Intestinal ascariasis on Ultrasonography by Mohammed